Orthopedics is the medical specialty that involves the treatment of the musculoskeletal system, which is made up of your body’s bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles.
Bone problems may include bone deformities, infections, tumors, fractures, need for amputation, nonunions (fracture failing to heal), malunions (fracture healed in less than optimal position) and spinal deformities.
Sometimes, treatment involves injections of medicine into the painful area. This may involve:
- Corticosteroid injections into joints, tendons and ligaments, and around the spine
- Hyaluronic acid injection to help relieve arthritis pain
Surgical procedures used in the treatment of orthopedics include:
- Arthroscopic surgeries
- Bunionectomy and hammer-toe repair
- Cartilage repair or resurfacing procedures
- Cartilage surgery to knee
- Fracture care
- Joint replacement (arthroplasty)
- Ligament reconstructions
- Repair of torn ligaments and tendons
- Spine surgery, including diskectomy, foraminotomy, laminectomy, and spinal fusion
Newer orthopedic services procedures include minimally invasive surgery techniques, advanced external fixation, and the use of bone graft substitutes and bone-fusing protein.